Department of Mathematics
MS in Mathematics
Course Requirements (30 units)
- Core courses (6 units)
- Additional courses (6 units)
• Choose one of the following: MATH 200, MATH 232, MATH 252, or MATH 272;
• Choose one of the following: MATH 223, MATH 228, or MATH 260.
- Elective courses (15 units)
- A combination of approved courses - see Advising Note 1
- Culminating experience (3 units)
Additional Requirements - Satisfaction of the Graduate Writing Requirement
In order to satisfy the University Graduate Writing Skills Requirement, the student must submit a formal paper demonstrating writing skill in mathematics at the graduate level. This graduate level paper may be a research proposal, a literature review in some mathematical area of interest, a paper from a directed research project, or some other paper that meets the objectives for the writing requirement as stated in the Satisfaction of the Graduate Writing Requirement section found in the Relevant Policies section of the Department of Mathematics Graduate Studies Handbook. Deadlines are also given in that section.
Before attempting to satisfy the graduate writing requirement, the student must have (1) achieved classified standing, and (2) attended a Plagiarism Workshop and signed the Mathematics Department’s Honor Code Statement Regarding Academic Integrity and Plagiarism.
Graduate Advising Notes
- Under the direction of the department graduate adviser, each candidate should prepare and submit for approval a program of courses as early as possible.
- All graduate students should obtain a copy of the Department of Mathematics Graduate Studies Handbook for more detailed information on the program requirements.