Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics is not able to offer this workshop in June 2020, due to the COVID-19 health crisis. We hope to offer the workshop again in June 2021.
Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI-Level 1) Designed for 2nd-5th Grade Elementary Teachers Summer 2020
Saturday, June 13, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Monday, June 15 - Friday, June 19, 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
REFLECTION and PLANNING DAY (optional, required for 3 units)
Friday, June 19, 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
The Department of Mathematics at California State University, Fresno in collaboration with San Joaquin Valley Mathematics Project (SJVMP) and the Mathematics and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI), offers a unique opportunity for elementary school teachers. Learn about Cognitively Guided Instruction, a research-based approach to teaching mathematics, that focuses on understanding children's mathematical thinking and how to make instructional decisions to help students learn mathematics with understanding.
- Five days of intensive hands-on learning through activities and demonstration classes for elementary mathematics teachers to help implement a CGI approach to teaching mathematics.
- Intensive learning experience through challenging mathematical and pedagogical task in enjoyable environment.
- Deepen your understanding of problem solving, strategies for solving problems, and analyzing student mathematical knowledge.
- Work with incoming 4th-6th graders to learn about their mathematical thinking and to deepen your ability to ask questions and analyze student's mathematical thinking.
- Observe demonstration CGI lessions taught by highly effective CGI teachers.
- Co-plan and implement CGI lessions with students in the upper elementary (4th-6th) grades.
- Change the ay yout think about teaching mathematics.
- Optional 6th day of professional development to reflect on your learning and begin
planning how you will implement CGI strategies into your instruction in the upcoming
- Earn an optional 2 or 3 units of Fresno State professional development credit (cost $75/unit).
- School/District Support: Registration fee $725 (before May 15th), $825 (after May 15th).
Please click here for the program flyer.
If you intend to register for Cognitively Guided Instruction please click here.
In addition, if you intend to participate in the 32nd Cohort of the SJVMP Leadership Institute please click here.