Department of Mathematics
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - Integrated Credential Option
The requirement for entrance to the major and minor programs is completion of two years of algebra as well as courses in geometry and trigonometry, or a sequence of courses containing their equivalents, such as MATH 5 (trigonometry) and 6 (precalculus). It is strongly recommended that such study be completed before entrance to the university.
Incoming Integrated Credential Option students are eligible for the Mathematics Teaching Scholars Program
Major requirements (61 units)
Core curriculum (35 units)
MATH 75 (or 75A and B), 76, 77, 81 (15 units)
MATH 101 (4 units)
MATH 111 (4 units)
MATH 151, 152 (8 units)
MATH 171 (4 units)
Option specific electives (18 units)
Math 143 (4 units)
MATH 145 (3 units)
MATH 149S (4 units)
MATH 161 (3 units)
MATH 123 (3 units)
MATH 193D (1 unit)
Additional requirements (8 units)
CSCI 40 (4 units)
PHYS 4A (3 units)
PHYS 4AL (see note 2) (1 unit)
General Education requirements (49 units) (see notes 1, 3, 4 and 5)
Other requirements (9 units)
American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2), Multicultural and International (MI), and Upper-division writing (see note 2)
Credential requirements (34 units)
CI 151 (3 units)
CI 152 (3 units)
CI 161 (3 units)
LEE 157 (3 units)
EHD 154A (1 unit)
EHD 155A (4 units)
EHD 155B (10 units)
SPED 158 (3 units)
LEE 156 (3 units)
EHD 154B (1 unit)
Total (134 units)
The culminating experience for the Integrated Credential Option is MATH 149S.
- PHYS 4AL is required for the Integrated Credential Option. PHYS 4A+4AL will satisfy the General Education (GE) Breadth requirement.
- Students in the Integrated Credential Option are required to take ANTH 105W as a writing course that also satisfies the Multicultural/International Requirement.
- Three units of MATH 75 (or MATH 75A) also will satisfy the G.E. Foundation B4 requirement.
- MATH 123 is double counted as a math elective requirement and G.E. IB requirement for the Integrated Credential Option.
- Ten units of G.E. courses are double counted (B1/3, B4 and IB), and 6 units of G.E.
requirements are waived (A3 and ID) for the Integrated Teaching Option.
- See Mathematics Road Map at:
It is strongly recommended, to all math majors, to have an advising session at least once a semester. If you do not have an assigned advisor, please talk to the staff at the Mathematics department office (PB 381).
All courses required as prerequisites for a mathematics course must be completed with a grade of C or better before registration will be permitted. All courses taken to fulfill major or minor requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better.