Department of Mathematics
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - General Mathematics Option
The requirement for entrance to the major and minor programs is completion of two years of algebra as well as courses in geometry and trigonometry, or a sequence of courses containing their equivalents, such as MATH 3 (College Algebra) and 5 (Trigonometry). It is strongly recommended that such study be completed before entrance to the university.
Major Requirements (50-55 units) and Additional Requirements (7 units)
Core curriculum (34-35 units)
MATH 75 (or 75A and B), 76, 77, 81 (15 units)
MATH 101 or 107 (3-4 units)
MATH 111 (4 units)
MATH 151, 152 (8 units)
MATH 171 (4 units)
Option specific electives (16-21 units)
Five mathematics courses, upper-division or graduate, minimum of 3 units per course, excluding MATH 100, 102, 133, 134, 137, 138, and 139 (see note 1) (15-20 units)
One of the following courses MATH 193A, 193B, 193C, 193D, as long as it agrees with the chosen Culminating Experience (see note 1) (1 unit)
Additional requirements (7 units)
CSCI 40 (4 units)
PHYS 4A (see note 2) (3 units)
General Education requirements (48 units) (see notes 2 and 3)
Other requirements (9 units)
American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2), Multicultural and International (MI), and Upper-division writing.
Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
Total (120 units)
The Culminating Experience for this option can be any of the Culminating Experiences from the other options in the B.S. in Mathematics (as listed below), as long as students have the required prerequisites:
- MATH 193A + MATH 198 (in Applied Mathematics) or
- MATH 193B + MATH 198 (in Pure Mathematics) or
- MATH 193C or
- MATH 149S. Students choosing this Culminating Experience may take any of the MATH 193A, 193B, 193C or 193D seminars, assuming that they have the prerequisites.
- Students choosing this option will be able to select their MATH electives freely, as long as this decision is consistent with the Culminating Experience they choose to have. Special conditions apply for graduate courses. Students in this option using MATH 149S as their Culminating Experience can take any of the 1-unit seminars MATH 193A, 193B, 193C or 193D (assuming they have the prerequisites); see department advisor.
- PHYS 4AL is not required for the math major. If students wish to include PHYS 4A as a General Education Breadth course, they must also take PHYS 4AL.
- Three units of MATH 75 (or MATH 75A) also will satisfy the G.E. Foundation B4 requirement.
- See Mathematics Road Map at:
It is strongly recommended, to all math majors, to have an advising session at least once a semester. If you do not have an assigned advisor, please talk to the staff at the Mathematics department office (PB 381).
All courses required as prerequisites for a mathematics course must be completed with a grade of C or better before registration will be permitted. All courses taken to fulfill major or minor requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better.