Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
About the Chemistry Department
The department is committed to providing the very best chemical education and training possible for its students, while increasing the number of students qualified and interested in majoring in chemistry.
Of equal importance is a commitment to serve the much larger number of students who are not chemistry or science majors, but require one or more chemistry courses as part of their course of study. This includes:
- Pre-health professional students
- Students preparing for high school and K-8 science teaching
- Students majoring in agricultural related fields
- Biology, physics and geology majors; health science, enology, food science, and engineering students.
Given the central role chemistry plays in our society, we are also committed to serving students as part of the university's general education program.
The undergraduate and graduate programs offered by the Department of Chemistry are designed to meet the needs of students with a wide range of interests and differing personal and professional goals. Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Arts (BA), and Master of Science (MS) degrees in chemistry are offered along a Chemistry Option for the BA Natural Sciences Degree. The department also offers numerous courses that contribute to the education of students who will not become professional chemists.
Support for these “core” programs includes an excellent staff that provides secretarial, stockroom and equipment maintenance support, as well as administrative support at the department, college and university levels.
Departmental support provides for administrative oversight, program planning and development. It includes:
- The establishment of student advising programs
- The providing of opportunities for enrichment (through independent research, seminar programs, and student clubs)
- Support of a culture conducive to learning
- Respectful of individuals from diverse backgrounds
The department remains strongly committed to these responsibilities.