Department of Biology
You are invited to apply for the Master's of Biotechnology, a Professional Science Master's Degree, at California State University, Fresno. Though our program is new, our students have been very successful. Each year our students win awards for academic excellence.
Biotechnology Tradition at Fresno State
Biotechnology has a long-standing tradition at Fresno State starting with the Biotechnology Certificate Program in 1988. With the success of the certificate program, the program developed further with the creation of the Professional Science Master's Degree in Biotechnology (M.Bt.) in 2005. Since the foundation of biotechnology at Fresno State, the university has been an integral part in developing qualified employees for the biotechnology industries across the Central Valley and beyond.
- The program offers an interdisciplinary approach to study biotechnology. Faculty is drawn from the Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education, Food Sciences and Nutrition, Industrial Technology, Plant Sciences, Viticulture and Enology, the Craig School of Business, and Computer Science.
- The University has a history of over 20 years in training graduate students in Biotechnology.
- The Program has a strong record in agricultural biotechnology, environmental biotechnology, and biotechnology relating to medicine and medical diagnostics.
- The program faculty is composed of innovative educators; whose cutting edge research is strongly application based.
- There is a strong business core of courses. Students take business courses with students in the MBA program. Courses in the MBA program are offered in the award winning Entrepreneurial Program.
- The University is located in the heart of the Central California Valley, the richest agricultural region in the world.
- There is access to a wide diversity of ecological niches and places of great natural beauty close to the University.
- The program is comparatively economical. The cost of living in Fresno is comparatively low.
General information about Fresno State, campus life, housing, and many more topics may be found at http://www.fresnostate.edu/CSUF/futurestudents/index.shtml. Students that are interested in applying to the Biotechnology Program should explore the University Web site.