Department of Biology
The Department of Biology depends on the generous gifts of our friends, patrons and alumni to ensure the margin of excellence we enjoy. Private gifts from generous donors help to sustain the Department's mission of excellence in teaching, research, and service. Such gifts help to provide the best possible education for our undergraduate and graduate students, build a lively intellectual community and support the cutting edge work of our faculty. For additional information on how your donation can be put to work, see the section below.
If you are interested in supporting the Department of Biology, we will work with you to make your gift meaningful to you and your family, as well as to our students and faculty. We pledge to be good stewards of your gift and to preserve it for future generations. We believe that together we can make a difference!
There are many ways to support California State University, Fresno. Each gift made to the College of Science and Mathematics impacts the daily lives of our students and faculty. Your contribution is an investment in an educated and informed population for the future.
Give to our High Altitude Biology Course (2-weeks)
Goal of course:
- Discuss and investigate the effects high altitude environments have on animal physiology and plant diversity.
- Discuss how climate change and pollution are negatively impacting these environments.
- Expose our students to the beauty and fragility of our forests.
- Excite our students to be the next generation of stewards of our natural spaces.
Description of course:
- Week one: One-week backpacking trip 1) where we monitor our own physiological changes as we go from Fresno (elevation ~300 ft) to the Sierra Nevada (>8000 ft.); 2) discuss how insects, small mammals, birds, fish, and plants survive in this environment (low oxygen levels, freezing temperature, high winds, etc…); 3) discuss plant diversity; and 4) discuss the negative impacts climate change and pollution is having on high altitude plants and animals.
- Week two: Literature search and discussion on the topics we discussed on the trip. Students will create a presentation/poster/pamphlet describing the effects of climate change on high altitude environments to be used as science outreach.
Ways to Give Now
- Online - Make an immediate gift to the College of Science and Mathematics using the Fresno State secure donation server. At this site, you may designate the College of Science and Mathematics for your gift.
- By Phone - Call us at 559.278.0453 to make a gift.
- By Mail - Send your check and contact information to:
College of Science and Mathematics
2576 E. San Ramon Avenue M/S ST90
Fresno, CA 93740-8034
Your Gifts at Work
Your support allows us to continue investing in the growth and advancement of the Biology Department by providing enriched opportunities for research and study. Funds have been used for:
- Student Recruitment: arranges and pays for selected, high-caliber applicants for Teaching and Research Assistantships to visit the department.
- Graduate Student Support: to recognize high achievement and scholarship, including teaching excellence among Teaching Assistants.
- Continuing Education and Professional Stature: financial assistance to graduate students and faculty to attend professional seminars and symposia to deliver papers on their research activities.
- Local Seminars and Symposia: allocation of funds to sponsor seminars and symposia in Fresno to attract attention to Fresno State and the Biology Department.
Thank you for your contributions!
Jason Bush, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair,
Department of Biology