Department of Biology
Students are admitted to the program as classified or conditional. When a student is admitted, their status (classified or conditional) is designated. If conditional, the courses required to become classified are indicated.
- Students who are admitted as a classified student do not have any requirements to complete for classification.
- Students who are admitted conditionally usually need to take one or more courses to become classified.
- The PSM Biotechnology Program expects that all students will complete the courses to become classified their first semester.
- If you were admitted conditionally, work with the PSM director to ensure your plan of study will allow this to happen.
- Questions about your specific requirements and how to complete them should be directed to the PSM Biotechnology Program Director.
- A maximum of 10 units taken prior to attaining classified standing may be applied toward the master's degree program of courses. This includes transfer and post baccalaureate units.
- Course work must be completed as indicated on the student's admission form. Prerequisite courses and other courses required for classification may not be applied to the graduate program requirements.
- Students must work with the biotechnology program coordinator for the swift completion of any requirements. Students are expected to complete the work for classification the first semester of study.
- Conditional graduate students must notify the graduate coordinator that they have completed the requirements to become classified. The graduate coordinator will file a Notice of Classified Standing with the Graduate Division.
- All students, classified and conditional, will need to take a laboratory skills test before classes start.
- Admitted students will be assigned a time to take the exams.
- The exam has written and practical portions, comprised of general skills that are needed in most molecular biology laboratories.
- Students who fail to take the exams will be required to take the laboratory skills course.
- Students who fail the exam will be required to take a laboratory skills course.
- Students who do not complete the laboratory skills course may be asked to leave the program.