College of Science and Mathematics
STEAM: Enriched Pathways
A Department of Education Title VA Award: October 2020 to September 2025
Approximately $3.0 million dollars
|Three colleges are partnering in this endeavor|
|1. College of Science and Mathematics (CSM)|
|2. Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (JCAST)|
|3. Lyles College of Engineering (LCOE)|
|Architects of the grant|
|1. President Dr. Saul Jimenez-Sandoval and Provost Dr. Xuanning Fu (PDs)|
|2. Gillisann Harootunian, PhD, Executive Director, University Initiatives, Office of the Provost|
|3. Stergios (Steve) Roussos, PhD, MPH, (external evaluator), Community Initiatives for Collective Impact|
|4. Dean Christopher Meyer, College of Science and Mathematics (Co-PD)|
|5. Dean Ram Nunna, Lyles College of Engineering (Co-PD)|
|6. Dean Dennis Nef, Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (Co-PD)|
|7. JCAST Grant coordinator: Dr. Steve Rocca|
|8. LCOE Grant coordinator: Dr. Brissa Quiroz,|
|9. CSM Grant coordinator: Dr. Alejandro Calderón-Urrea|
The goal of “STEAM: Enriched Pathways” is to democratize access to academic success for all students. The project creates efficient ‘guided pathways-plus’ for students to obtain bachelor’s degrees in STEAM. “STEAM” encompasses STEM disciplines as well as agricultural sciences because the latter is a huge economic engine in the region.
- Guided Pathways: These are the roadmap with milestones, benchmarks, and score cards (4-6 year plans).
- CURES (Course-based Undergraduate Research Experiences) also referred as ARG (Affinity Research Groups).
- WBLOs (Work-Based Learning Opportunities): These could be implemented in the CSM as company visitations, company speakers, research projects in class for companies, shadowing, micro and traditional internships, etc.
- Employee Partnerships (to expand CURES and WBLO opportunities): We are working in conjunction with the College Director of Development to increase the number of companies involved in projects with the students of the college.
- Financial Literacy and Financial + Career Planning (embedded in GE/FY courses): We plan to implement though modules included into the BOND CSM10 and CSM15 courses.
- Endowment: DOE to provide $600K… the University to raise $600K.
- Faculty Liaisons: Development of guided pathways, plans to introduce HIPs
- Professional Development for Faculty: Including workshops to implement integration of research, HIPs in classes
- Faculty and Lecturer Support for curriculum development, revision, pilot teaching, and GE course revisions and teaching
- Lab Tech Support for research and equipment support for students and faculty on projects
- Project Assistant Support for scheduling, coordination, logistics
- Travel Support for professional meetings and dissemination
- Materials and Supplies and Support for implementation of WBLOs/student support