College of Science and Mathematics
Be a Volunteer in Service to America (VISTA)
Fresno State’s College of Science and Mathematics Seeks to Recruit One Individual for the AmeriCorps VISTA Program
Do you have a burning desire to give back to your Fresno State campus and our very diverse undergraduate student population? Are you looking for an opportunity which would give you a way to do this very thing back? Well, you're in luck because we have an opportunity designed just for you!
Fresno State’s College of Science and Mathematics, seeks two individuals to serve as CSU STEM VISTA members who will help us build capacity for student success by directly contributing to our CSU STEM Collaborative Project.
About CSU STEM VISTA
AmeriCorps*VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), an independent federal agency created to connect Americans of all ages and backgrounds with opportunities to give back to their communities and their nation. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for 50 years. VISTA members focus on capacity building in impoverished communities. The “capacity building” focus of VISTA means that VISTA members work for the lasting growth and development of organizations or projects within their communities, rather than performing “direct service” activities like house-building or tutoring youth.
CSU STEM VISTA places volunteers in CSU science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) departments, colleges, or institutes. VISTA members support the academic and professional success of traditionally underrepresented CSU STEM students by building partnerships with faculty, staff, students, alumni and local communities to increase hands-on learning experiences such as service learning, internships and undergraduate research. Hands-on experiences lead to increased graduation rates and enhanced job-ready skills. By improving the chances of each student earning a degree, the state can contribute many more graduates to the national economy and improve the social and professional outcomes of its students.
VISTA members also support K-12 student success in STEM through departmental partnerships with local K-12 schools, after-school programs, local science museums, and other youth programs. The overall goal of this VISTA program is to link education and engagement with communities, alumni and industry to help alleviate poverty.
Fresno State's College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) Advising and Resources Center (ARC) VISTA Member
We are looking for a passionate leader who has a strong and genuine interest in helping our Fresno State STEM students. Those selected to be AmeriCorps VISTA members will assist the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) Advising and Resources Center (ARC) with developing an infrastructure that carefully examines the course taking patterns of first-time freshmen. They will also help us with our CSM BOND program in which they will assist faculty with improving the course structure so that more students succeed. In addition, VISTA will help create a peer mentor program that is designed to nurture, foster, and support our freshmen and sophomore populations. The individual selected will join a dynamic team focused on transformative practices.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident age 18 or older
- Bachelor’s degree required (degree in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics not required)
- Commitment to VISTA’s anti-poverty mission
- Interest and willingness to understand issues related to college access and success
- Experience working with college students, youth, community-based or governmental organizations
- Ability to take on a leadership role
- Experience in any of the following areas: project or program management, volunteer management, multi-tasking, community building, community organizing, public speaking skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Modest monthly living allowance varying by location
- Relocation allowance (if relocating 50+ miles)
- Health coverage
- Professional and personal development
- Paid personal and sick days
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
- Loan deferment/forbearance (if eligible)
- Upon completion of service, choice of:
- $5,775 education award or
- $1500 end-of-service stipend check
How to Apply
- Complete VISTA application form.
- You will also need to complete the AmeriCorps CSU VISTA application. Further information can be found here.
Please contact Dr. Jaime Arvizu for further information.
He can be reached at (559)278-4150 or firstname.lastname@example.org .