Advising and Resources Center
This page provides links to valuable online resources for students considering or planning a career in dentistry. To the left is pre-dental preparation information, and pre-dental prerequisites. To the right are links to the CSM Chemistry Department’s Pre-Dental page outlining academic preparation and application procedures to dental school.
Below are links to an overview of a career in dentistry, a four-year graduation roadmap, summer education programs, information on the Dental Admission Test (DAT), and a comprehensive list of U.S. dental schools.
- Overview of a Career in DentistryCareer description, employment characteristics, salary, employment outlook, need for minority dentists, educational programs, licensure, certification, and registration, and inquiries contact information.
- American Dental Association (ADA)
A website for students interested in a career in dentistry – provides an overview of the entire preparation and application process, and more.
- Four-year Timeline
What do you need to do to prepare yourself for dental school? It's more than just taking and doing well in your courses. If you are not on a four-year graduation plan, adapt this timeline from the ADA website to your own roadmap for graduation.
- American Dental Educational Association (ADEA)
Educational resources including application services, policy and advocacy, professional development, and publications, and video.
- ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools ($35)
The ADEA Guide to Dental Schools answers virtually every question about dentistry and the dental school admissions process. You will want to refer to this when you are getting ready to apply.
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program and the Association of American Medical Colleges - Summer medical and dental education programs are free and include full tuition, housing, and meals; six-week summer academic enrichment programs that offer freshman and sophomore college students intensive and personalized medical and dental school preparation. Open to students from historically underrepresented groups.
- Information on the DAT Exam
Required dental admission exam. Includes sections of chemistry, biology, verbal, and perceptual ability.
- American Student Dental Association
List of dental schools, member resources, and online purchase of ASDA Predental Handbook.