Department of Computer Science
Computer Science Spring 2023 Course Registration Process
[Reminder] Permission number requests are need-based. Please don't treat them as a wishlist: you will lose priority if you've had unused permission numbers. Thank you.
BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF INSTRUCTION:
1. Utilize your class-level-based registration priority to enroll in the courses you need ASAP. Many core/popular courses will be full the first day/hour of registration. Your priority can be found in the link here. You will save yourself and the Department a lot of time if you just follow this one suggestion.
2. When a course is full, please fill out the Google Form for undergraduate courses and/or graduate courses (note, graduate students who need undergraduate courses should still fill out the undergraduate form). PeopleSoft course waitlists are not available except for CSCI 1 and 100.
3. The Department will use these Google Forms along with students' DPRs to determine an internal waitlist for each full course; these waitlists are not first-come first-served but instead ordered by need. A spot is NOT guaranteed when a course is full.
4. Permission Number (PN) assignments will begin after Thanksgiving break and consist of several rounds. Once you receive a PN, please enroll in the assigned course immediately. Your permission number has an expiration date. Your spot WILL be released to others after the expiration date.
ONCE THE SPRING 2023 SEMESTER BEGINS:
5. Both enrolled students and PN requesters (via Google Form) are required to attend the first week of course meetings. Enrolled students who do not attend the first week and do not contact the instructor about their absences will be dropped from classes to create room for PN requesters to get in. PN requesters who do not attend the first week will be removed from the corresponding waitlists.
6. No new PN requests will be reviewed after the first week of classes. Exceptions will be made only for compelling cases with adequate documentation.
7. PNs are not transferable; they are assigned as a result of the Department's careful review. Students attempting to use a PN that was not assigned to them will be disenrolled from the course and will have lower priority for future PN requests. Additionally, students with multiple unused PNs will be given lower priority for future requests.