Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
CSU-LSAMP Bridge to the Doctorate (BD)
APPLICATION NOW CLOSED
Participating students will focus on activities that will enhance their preparation for PhD studies in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). CSU-LSAMP BD Program at California State University, Fresno (Fresno State) includes completion of a Master of Science degree and entrance into a PhD program in a STEM discipline. CSU-LSAMP BD fellows are expected to complete the Master of Science degree in science, mathematics or engineering within 24 months. At the start of each new NSF-funded CSU-LSAMP BD program, a cohort of 12 students are selected. The CSU-LSAMP Program Oversight Committee determines which CSU campus will be the performance site for each LSAMP-BD program, contingent upon NSF funding. Program activities are designed to ensure that each CSU-LSAMP BD fellow:
- pursues a rigorous curriculum of graduate study leading to a MS degree in a STEM discipline in two years
- participates in a project of original research and acquires the skills required to communicate the outcomes in written and oral formats [written thesis, publication(s) in peer-reviewed journal(s), presentation(s) at national scientific conferences, presentation at departmental seminar or other on-campus program functions];
- receives intense advising, mentoring and academic support necessary to become a confident and successful graduate student; and
- achieves competitive scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general & subject tests to support acceptance into a high quality PhD program.
In order to be eligible for the CSU-LSAMP BD research fellowship, you must (1) have been a participant in an LSAMP (also called CAMP or AMP) program at your undergraduate institution and (2) have applied to and been accepted for admissions to a Fresno State Graduate School and to the specific STEM department in which you intend to receive the Master of Science degree. Please note, some departments have very specific deadlines for receipt of your application.
- $32,000 stipend per year
- Cost of education allowance
- California residency graduate tuition and fees for two years towards completion of a MS degree in a STEM discipline
- Travel to professional conferences
- Professional Development
- STEM PhD program application support
Gabriel Martinez Lazaro